Sunday 29 May 2011

2 WIPs for the Week

I have two little projects on the go at the moment, both of which I'm hoping to finish during the half-term hols.
The first you all know well, of course, and that is my felt bag. Yesterday I went to my local fabric shop and found something that I hope is going to complete my bag perfectly; a beautiful piece of silk dupon (is this shot silk?).


 The two-tone colours within the fabric complement the felt flowers delightfully well.


It was a little extravagant at £12.99 a metre but I'm hoping it will be worth it in the end.
For the fastening I bought two large green shell buttons.


I only intend to use one, but bought two just in case I came up with another idea as I was going - I'm terrible for doing this, but at least I recognise that I do this now and so prepare myself for the inevitable changes!
Am I going to be known as the bag lady? It seems to be all I can think about at the moment. My poor colleagues, I have been analysing their bags - material, shape, details, fastenings, pockets, straps...!

So, before, I bore you all to death, I shall move on to WIP no.2. I bought this yarn recently for a small crochet project but couldn't decide what to make.


This is Patons 'Smoothie' again, the same stuff I used for my Easter basket. It looks and feels just like cotton, but is 100% acrylic and therefore incredibly good value at £1.99 for a 100g ball.
What to make? A small bag? A cushion cover? A baby blanket? A cover for a footstool?
But this project has been inspired by some of you very talented bloggers out there. Emma Lamb crochets  a huge range of wonderful things. I very recently discovered the Royal Sisters who also creates (I am presuming this is one person despite the title) beautiful crochet items. I have begun to follow Jane at Hook and Yarn who is very talented with crochet and generous with sharing her designs.There are so many of you out there in blogland that are so talented, thank you for sharing! 
Drawing on the inspiration from you all I have decided to make my first cushion cover.


I have started with some small, plain granny squares.


I spread them out on the windowsill in an attempt to get some good light as it is quite grey and dull here in Cornwall today.
I am planning to make 25 for the cushion cover, but I might keep going and make an oversized cushion of 36 or even 49. I am so pleased with the colour combinations and can't wait to start stitching them all together.
Hope you are all enjoying your extended weekend.
Becky x

10 comments:

  1. OOOOh Becky I just LOVE that silk....what amazingly vibrant colours ...and it will complemet your purpley flowers and bag beautifully - with the super shell button too....can't wait to see the bag's next transformation...will it be the final stage?!
    Until then I'll just gaze in wonder at the fuschia gorgeousness of the silk...
    Enjoy your week and your hooking..so good to be able to pick something up to do in your spare minutes! Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Becky, thanks for your lovely comments about my blog! :)
    And WOW! That silk is just perfect, and the buttons too. You've really got an eye for putting things together.
    Love the colours you've chosen for your cushion too. It's going to be beautiful.
    I'm so glad Gill at Gillyflower gave you the award so I found your blog!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that shot silk Becky - its gorgeous and will match your felt bag perfectly.
    Loving the colours you've chosen for your patchwork crochet cushion - should be fun as it will make up quite quickly, I like fairly instant results dont you?
    Enjoy your half term!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Becky, that bag is going to be stunning! I love your chosen colour combinations, and all those contrasting textures, too. I can imagine it will bring you great pleasure to create, admire and use. Oh, and I'm looking at your crochet posts with a new interest and awe - I've just started a beginners' class (more cake than crochet at the moment!) and it's so tricky to learn. Enjoy your half term,
    Liz x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh the silk is perfect for your bag, so vibrant. The lovely crochet squares are kind of like a cornish sky, all muted and lovely. Happy crafting! Love Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to see your finished bag - it's going to be gorgeous!
    Thanks for the lovely message - it is encouraging to hear that things can turn around so quickly. I thought I'd found 'The One' but we want to live on different sides of the world... so I guess maybe I was wrong. I hope fate brings a happy miracle my way! I'm glad that things worked out so well for you, it sounds as though you are very happy!
    Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Becky, how are the half term projects coming on? Just dropped in to say there's an award for you on my blog if you come and visit!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those colours together, purple and green are perfect! And those squares, I could gaze at them all day! This post is full of eye candy!

    Thank you so much for your lovely comments on my blog, it is really appreciated! Love Annie xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That silk is the most gorgeous colour! Look forward to seeing the finished bag. Back to school on Monday?

    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the neat row of granny squares! I must learn to crochet one day, the end result looks so lovely :)

    Hope you managed to finish your projects and look forward to seeing the finished items!

    Rhi x

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thanks for taking the time to read my post and leave a message.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...