Saturday 28 January 2012

January Make #3

I have had a very productive January and am very pleased to have completed 3 makes. I didn't have any real New Year's resolutions but did see it as an opportunity to push myself a little and try some new things. In my pursuit of inspiration and advice I have found some lovely felter's blogs which led to me to my third monthly make, a felted vessel.


Isn't that felt just a gorgeous colour? I am absolutely in love with it - it's the raspberry chocolate felting wool I showed you a couple of posts ago and it is a dream to felt.
I found instructions on how to make this vessel using a 2d resist on a lovely blog called rosiepink! They are a mother and daughter team who run a business and blog all about their felting. They have some very inspirational ideas and a few tutorials, one of which was instructions for a 'felt pod'. I have only made a couple of felted vessels before and, being very honest, found them a bit of a pain, but I was amazed at how easy this method is. 
I added the flowers and pebbles as part of a Valentine's theme.


I made the flower stems by felting over pipe cleaners and added needle felted heart-shaped petals and finished the flowers with shiny shell buttons.
I have wanted to make felted pebbles since finding the instructions for them in a copy of Making magazine last Spring. These were really easy to do and I finished the white one with a small needle felted heart, which I did very carefully at angle so I didn't break the needle!


So, I still haven't had a go at that book cover yet, but it is on my 'to do' list and at least I'm not adding to the WIP list so that's something!
I have ordered a new felting book which I am very excited about. I'm hoping it will be here in time for half-term so I can have a go at some of the projects, but as it is coming from Hong Kong I might have to wait a little longer than that.

Hope you are all enjoying your weekends. We did a super walk around the local reservoir this morning, fed the ponies on the way, had a bacon roll and carrot cake at the water sports centre and the children played in the park on the way back! So now we have all flaked on the sofa! Happy days!
I'm off to start tea then have a little hooky time planned!
Becky x

Edited to add:
Forgot to say thank you for your suggestions for fastenings on my last post. I am definitely planning to try some of them out. Thank you!

9 comments:

  1. This is just amazing! Absolutely stunning.

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right about the colour, so gorgeous! Your make is indeed stunning, I love the 'pebbles', just fab! Sounds like you are having a great weekend so far - enjoy! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. These creations of yours are gorgeous!! I love the flowers and I can't believe how fluffy the felt looks. I love the burgundy colors, it's just so amazing what different things you can do with felt. I think it's time to start a hobby or two at night, as I look after my grand kids during the day and then I get bored watching the telly. My birthday is coming up in March so Instead of the usual Tracfone SVC prepaid phone cards I get (which are great as they are so cheap) I'd rather get a starter felt pack so I can start to get creative. Will most craft shops have felt? Is this hobby expensive? or not?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous - really love it! That raspberry colour is beautiful, and looks so nice with the white! Very impressed!!! I love the display in the first picture - perfect!
    Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Becky, these are lovely! I especially like the pebbles. Great to learn new skills too :)
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOOh Becky your felt is fabulous! Just love the colour of the chocolate raspberry and the combination with the creamy white. The vessel is such a tactile shape...I think that's another item for a to do list! Your pebbles look sooo soft and great idea for your flower stems.
    I often get side tracked from my original ideas too!
    What a productive January you have had - looking forward to seeing what Febrary brings!
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this is fabulous! Love that colour

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is perfectly beautiful, a quick question, but have you ever considered (or do you already) give lessons in felt making?

    Your felt creations are amazing and the finish to them is so good; I'd love to pick your brains if ever I got a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Becky, that little pot of flowers is sooo cute! You are clever, and yes the colour is gorgeous! Love Linda x

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thanks for taking the time to read my post and leave a message.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...