Friday 10 February 2012

Felt and Crochet Jar Jacket

Something new from me again, inspired by my lovely new Japanese book (I promise to share it with you soon!).


This little jacket has been felted over a glass jar (quickly whipped out of the recycling box before the recycle van came) and then finished with a crochet collar.

Another fiddly felting project. Or perhaps it's just that I haven't done it before. I can remember when felting little balls was a pain and they would all end up with little creases, but now I can make them with my eyes closed whilst icing a cake! All right, I exaggerate, but you know what I mean!

The felt is quite thin because I wanted to see what it would look like with a tea light inside. I used turquoise and teal felt which I tried to blend subtly into each other. With the light shining through the colours it looks just beautiful. 








I added the crochet to the top using a yarn called Pompeii, it's a chunky wool mix and I love how it looks with the soft felt. I can see a whole batch of these being made in a range of colours and finishes! I'm still thinking of adding some natural shell buttons down the front to finish it.


I think I will mostly use this one for pens and pencils, although it would look great with
some paper white narcissus in it. Or some white hyacinths.
I'd like to make a shorter, smaller one for my crochet hooks too.

So that's my first Monthly Make for February finished.
I have also finished the baby shoes and they are just gorgeous, but I'll save them for my next post.

Half-term is here. I'm looking forward to spending some time with my family. Baking. Walking. Playing. Laughing. Relaxing.
Lovely.


Hope you have a good weekend. Keep warm and if you have the snow enjoy it!
Becky x

8 comments:

  1. Becky - that really is a fabulous fluff pot!! What a great design and a brill way to combine two of your fave crafty talents!!
    Love the colours and it looks soooo cool.
    Enjoy your half term xx
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the look of the pot, and the felt looks just gorgeous with the light shining through. I remember some time ago seeing an artist who makes sea-inspired felt pictures which are then mounted with a light behind before being hung. Beautiful.
    Have a good half term!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so good - I love the colours you have used! Have a fab half-term x

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty - love the colours, it looks pretty fiddly to make to me! But well worth the effort

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks lovely! I love the combination of the felt and the crochet - really nice! Have a fun half-term!
    Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never seen this ingenious combination before of felting and crochet! One day I'd love to try felting too! Wishing you a very happy half term week.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Becky, so sorry I haven't visited for so long - other demands from me have taken over, I'm afraid! I'm sat next to an open fire enjoying re-visiting my favourite blogs, and have admired your many creative projects started since the new year! How on earth to you find the time...?
    I love your combination of crochet and felt, and the light shining through the fibres is gorgeous. Hope you have a lovely half term break,
    Liz x

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thanks for taking the time to read my post and leave a message.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...